Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Carpe Diem #364, Yaroslavsky Terminal Moscow


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I hope you all have had a great start of 2014 and a great start for our new month of Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. I am happy that you have responded on our first prompt "Aleph" with nice haiku, because I really thought that it was a very difficult prompt, but ... I have read wonderful haiku and that makes me always happy.
Today we will start with our journey straight through the Soviet Union with the Trans Siberian Railroad (TSR). We are taking the TSR at Yaroslavsky Terminal Moscow and will soon be on our way.



Credits: Yaroslavsky Terminal Moscow

Yaroslavsky station (Russian: Яросла́вский вокза́л, Yaroslavsky vokzal) is one of the nine main railway stations in Moscow, situated on Komsomolskaya Square. It has the highest passenger throughput of all the nine Moscow stations, serving eastern destinations, including the Russian Far East. It is the western terminus of the Trans-Siberian Railway, the longest railway in the world. Its name originates from the ancient city of Yaroslavl, the first large city along the railway, situated 284 km along the railway from Moscow.
The first Yaroslavsky station was built on this site in 1862, next to the Moscow's first rail terminal.
The existing Neorussian revival building facing Komsomolskaya Square was built in 1902–1904 by Fyodor Shechtel. The main departure hall beneath the fairy-tale roof connected directly into the boarding concourse. In 1910, its platforms and concourse were expanded by Lev Kekushev. Two major additions, in 1965–66 and 1995, further expanded station capacity. Currently, the station serves around 300 pairs of trains daily.


Violin (a Dutch site)

On this station Paulo Coelho meets his Russian Publisher for a journey straight through the Soviet Union to visit his readers. It's here he meets Hilal for the very first time, a young female violin-player, Hilal wants to be with him on this journey and during the journey Paulo and Hilal becoming closer and closer and it's becoming clear that they have known eachother and were in love in a earlier life.

Well ... of we go on our first part of our journey straight through the Soviet Union with the TSR up to Vladivostok and finally we will arrive at Shikoku Island.

sound of a violin
resonates through the train -
cry of an eagle


cry of an eagle
grows, grows, and bursts into my ears
the train starts rolling


the train starts rolling
screams of goodbyes resounding
under the roof


Not a strong trio, but I liked composing them. Well ... it will grow further during our journey and the haiku will become better ... now it's up to you.
This episode will stay on until January 3rd 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our first Carpe Diem Special of this month, a haiku by our featured Russian haiku-poet Alexey Andreyev, later on today.
!! Yaroslavsky Terminal Moscow is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) !!

 

9 comments:

  1. What a magnificent start of this trip... You really built in the tension of a railway station in your cascade.... Not easy to do something.

    I hope though to be able to write a haibun every day this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really this is going to be a great month! And a good, solid start! Thank you for kicking off so well, today and yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll do my best, Kristjaan, but I don't know how much of this journey I will be able to make with you. It's really a stretch to write about the Trans-Siberian Railway, when the desert is my home, and I've never been to Russia!

    I hope everyone has a wonder-filled 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to provide enough information about the TSR and the surrounding nature to give you more to deal with for your inspiration. It's an environment so different with the desert ... so I understand that it can be very difficult to share your haiku with us during our journey through the Soviet Union,

      Delete
  4. I love the story in this set!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMT--I have never been to Russia but I have been on trains. I see this as a chance to tell a story with haiku--the prompt is where you start but I don't see at as a leash. I think this will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have decided I will do a haiku version of Aleph, but from Hilal's perspective. Your prompt has inspired me to do it this way. Let's see whether I can make it meaningful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading the book, so can't read your prompts, you are ahead of me. I will follow my own steps in the spirit Aelph and hope we have some convergence. See you at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I`ve never been outside of North America...barely ever outside of Canada, so the TSR is well outside my experience, but I love trains, so hard to resist this!

    ReplyDelete