Saturday, February 13, 2016

Carpe Diem Extra February 13th 2016 - Introduction to a new feature "Carpe Diem's Theme Week


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I have created another Carpe Diem Haiku Kai special feature. In the past years I have done this earlier, but it wasn't really a regular feature. So I have decided to create this new feature. This new feature I have called "Carpe Diem's Theme Week" and I will do this every month in the third week.

The first "Theme Week" will start next Monday (February 15th) and I have a nice theme I think for this first "Theme Week".
Not so long ago I read a wonderful article in a Dutch (Mindfullness) Magazine named "Happinez". In that article the writer tells us a bit about the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead or "Bardo Thodol".

Sogyal Rinpoche

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, written by Sogyal Rinpoche in 1992, is a presentation of the teachings of Tibetan Buddhism based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead or Bardo Thodol. The author wrote, "I have written The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying as the quintessence of the heart-advice of all my masters, to be a new Tibetan Book of the Dead and a Tibetan Book of Life." The book explores: the message of impermanence; evolution, karma and rebirth; the nature of mind and how to train the mind through meditation; how to follow a spiritual path in this day and age; the practice of compassion; how to care for and show love to the dying, and spiritual practices for the moment of death.

In his foreword to the book, the 14th Dalai Lama says:

"In this timely book, Sogyal Rinpoche focuses on how to understand the true meaning of life, how to accept death, and how to help the dying, and the dead...Death and dying provide a meeting point between the Tibetan Buddhist and modern scientific traditions. I believe both have a great deal to contribute to each other on the level of understanding and practical benefit. Sogyal Rinpoche is particularly well placed to facilitate this meeting; having been born and brought up in the Tibetan tradition, he has received instructions from some of our greatest Lamas. Having also benefited from a modern education and lived and worked in the West, he has become well acquainted with Western ways of thought."

Logo For Our First CD-Theme Week
The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying is a very nice book and it can give you a lot of spiritual insights. Those insights I will try to explain to you all and I hope to inspire you all to write/create haiku, tanka or another Japanese poetry form.

The posts for this CD Theme Week feature will be published next to the regular prompts of this month. I am looking forward to this first Theme Week ... There is one little difference with the regular responding time. Instead of three days, you have only two days to respond per prompt.

Here are the "prompts" for this first Carpe Diem Theme Week:

February 15th: Introduction to the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
February 16th: Insight 1 We are all travelers
February 17th: Insight 2 through the chinks comes the light
February 18th: Insight 3 thinking about death gives life meaning
February 19th: Insight 4 the power of compassion is limitless
February 20th: Insight 5 the teacher is not sacred too
February 21st: Insight 6 balance is not always necessary

For closure I have a haiku for you in which I have tried to catch the essence of the deeper layers of the Tibetan Book of Living  and Dying. This haiku you maybe remember from our month about Peace of Mind last year.

peace of mind
lotuses reach for the sun
growing from the dark

© Chèvrefeuille

This haiku gives (in my opinion) the essence of the deeper Insights which we will discover this week.
After every Theme Week I will gather the posts and your responses to create a new CDHK E-book.

I hope you all will like this new special feature here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai, the place to be if you like to write and share haiku with the world.

4 comments:

  1. This looks like an interesting theme week, Kristjaan, and I will keep looking in. I'm currently busy rewriting a novel, but will try to take part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very very interesting and hopefully I will be able to participate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great week you have planned for us, Kristjaan!! Thank you! I just ordered the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really appreciate this Chev, very much. Looks very good indeed, though a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete