Monday, May 8, 2017

Carpe Diem Tan Renga Challenge Month 2017 #6 first autumn morning (Murakami Kijo)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of our Tan Renga Challenge Month 2017. Today I have a nice haiku by Murakami Kijo (1865-1938). He was a contemporary of Shiki and was influenced by the style of Shiki's haiku.
Maybe you can remember our Tan Renga Challenge Month of 2016 or maybe the weekly Tan Renga Challenge in 2016. In that month we have had also a haiku by Murakami Kijo. The "hokku" for today's TRC is a reprise I think of one of his haiku back then.

first autumn morning
the mirror I stare into
shows my father's face.

© Murakami Kijo

Murakami Kijo (1865-1938)
A short biography:

Kijo was born in 1865 in Edo, Japan. He studied law but gave this up after losing his hearing due to illness. In 1894, he worked as a legal scribe in Takasaki. He helped publish the first edition of Hotogisu, a haiku magazine. He published his collection of work in 1923 with Harold Zod. In 1927, his house burned down with everything that he owned. Kijo died on September 17, 1938.

Here is my attempt to create a Tan Renga with this "hokku":

first autumn morning
the mirror I stare into
shows my father's face                               © Murakami Kijo

reflections of the autumn moon
this rainy day makes me feel alone
           © Chèvrefeuille

Well ... a short episode, I hope you do like it nevertheless.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until May 13th at noon (CET). Have fun!


5 comments:

  1. I like his haiku A LOT! Aging isn't for the weak. A lot of us end up looking closely like our parents. I look a lot like my mother and it's haunting yet comforting.

    Great selection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. first autumn morning
    the mirror I stare into
    shows my father's face

    as the moment is accented
    by a tick of his watch

    Valentina Ranaldi-Adams

    ReplyDelete