Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Carpe Diem #1218 Solar Eclipse


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of our daily haiku-meme Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. This month will be all about kigo (seasonwords) classical or non-classical. And today we have solar eclipse for prompt. This is a "modern kigo" for summer, extracted from Jane Reichhold's "A Dictionary of Haiku".

And to inspire you and to honor Jane Reichhold here are a few haiku she created with this "modern kigo":

fire-white halo
at the moment of eclipse
I notice your face

solar dust
visible during eclipse
all over the room

dappled forest floor
the eclipsed sun
in a myriad of leaves

under trees
a thousand crescent suns
eclipsed by leaves

© Jane Reichhold (1937-2016)

Solar Eclipse
I hadn't enough inspiration so I thought ... "dive into your archive" and I did. So here is a haiku crafted by myself inspired on this modern kigo, solar eclipse.

a halo of pearls
as the moon blackens the sun -
mid-day night fall

© Chèvrefeuille

And I found also a nice one by my master, Basho, about the "solar eclipse":

fire-white halo
at the moment of eclipse
I notice your face

© Basho (1644-1694)

Isn't it a wonderful phenomenon? Awesome ....

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until July 16th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, Kingfisher (Kawasemi), later on. Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Aw these are just stunning, Kristjaan. Thank you for sharing these to inspire us.

    ReplyDelete