Thursday, July 20, 2017

Carpe Diem Writing and Enjoying Haiku #3 classical haiku


!! Open for your submissions next Sunday July 23rd at 7.00 PM (CET) !!

Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

It's almost weekend and that means ... time for a new episode of our "weekend-meditation" feature. This weekend I have a nice episode for you of "Carpe Diem Writing and Enjoying Haiku", inspired on the book by Jane Reichhold (1937-2016).
In the last episode of "Writing and Enjoying Haiku" you had to create haiku without rules, this time, I love to challenge you to create haiku following the rules, the most basic rules of haiku. You may choose your own theme, but you have to follow the following rules:

1. A kigo seasonword)
2. A kireji (cutting-word or punctuation)
3. 5-7-5 syllables (onji)
4. The theme is nature
5. A spiritual, Zen-Buddhistic layer / meaning
6. First and Third line are interchangeable
7. In your haiku you may not use "I", because in haiku the poet isn't visible

All rules ... you (we) have to follow, but as Basho once said "forget the rules". Well for this episode of Writing and Enjoying Haiku you (we) cannot forget the rules.



As you all (maybe) know I am not a haiku poet that follows the rules, I am more like Santoka Taneda and try to create my haiku in the "free-style" way. So this challenge will not be easy for me, but of course I had to give it a try and created this haiku following the rules:

a fragile cobweb
dressed in crystalline dewdrops

treasure at sunrise

© Chèvrefeuille
Pff ... that wasn't easy. In my opinion this is a nice haiku, but it looks somewhat artificial, but after re-reading I had to change my opinion. It has become a real nice haiku. I think all the "rules" are in it, but about the Zen-Buddhistic layer I am not sure. What do you think?

This "weekend-meditation" is open for your submissions next Sunday July 23rd at 7:00 PM (CET) and will remain open until July 28th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our next episode, dunes, also around 7:00 PM (CET) next Sunday. Have a great weekend!



3 comments:

  1. As always, thanks for the great challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed writing this, thank you! Summer's Wild Abandon:

    http://wp.me/p8GM4F-qV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consider 2 great pieces of music by Beethoven: the last movement of the last symphony and the last movement of the last piano sonata.  The sonata movement is calm and contemplative. It works wonders with just a solo piano in a modest dynamic range.  I could call it (but not the symphony movement) Zen-Buddhistic.  In that broad sense at least, Chèvrefeuille's fine haiku is also Zen-Buddhistic.

    ReplyDelete